Amazing, Empowered, Strong, Calm, Relaxed, Emotional are all words you often read and hear about when you read blogs on childbirth….but why?
The body is truly amazing and it was only when I experienced childbirth for myself that the penny dropped and felt that on some level I could relate to some of these words and oh my word they were all right!
So how can you go about trying to have the most amazing, empowered, strong, calm and relaxed birth?
This is where I as your doula can help:)
At some time you will need to allow yourself time for you and you only!
Let someone else pick up your needs for a change as you prepare for one of the biggest and most wonderful changes of your life.
Its a roller coaster ride of emotions, self discovery and so much more and sure to bring you the most intense joy possible with the most perfect bundle at the end of it:)
Research has shown that having a doula present at a birth:
- Shortens first time labour by an average of 2 hours
- Decreases the need for Epidural Requests by 60%
- Decreases the chance of Caesarian section by 50%
- Decreases the need for Forceps Delivery by 40%
- Decreases the use of Oxytocin by 40%
- Decreases the need for pain medication by 30%
- Helps fathers participate with confidence
- Increases success in breast feeding
Findings from ‘Mothering the Mother’ Klaus, Kennell & Klaus, 1993
Why do I need a Doula? After all I have plenty of support around me!
I often get bookings from first time mums who have been recommended by others to employ a Doula for their pregnancy and birth. Sometimes we are doubtful of our capabilities and sometimes fearful of childbirth, I can become your rock of gentle reassurance and support you through those times of fear. I teach you to embrace that fear rather then fight it and to unlearn what fear represents to you.
As your Doula I will provide you with an invaluable knowledge on the physiology of birth, provide you with guidance, emotional and physical support. From gentle encouragement, helping you to learn to listen to your body, to using different positions thus creating the best positions for your baby during pregnancy and birth. Guiding you, holding you and therefore allowing your body to do what nature intended it to do.
What can a Doula do for me and how would a Doula fit in with my chosen partner?
- We would together, including partners, talk through what your expectations are for your birth starting by my in-depth antenatal sessions. There is lots to learn which is gained through active discussion and role play. We would work together, encouraging your partner to participate and support you with your birth choices during your labour.
- For Mums who are expecting again, that perhaps found some elements challenging the first time and wish for a greater positive birth experience, we would together, including partners, talk through and reflect on your first birth. We would ensure that you both go into the new birth with a clearer and more positive outlook. During your birth we would work together and I would support you both and help you achieve that ‘high’ that goes with birth.
- For Mums to be who are classed as high risk, such as women with Gestational Diabetes or other high risk conditions, I would be able to provide support, knowledge and signpost you on these issues. Often there are many challenges that come with high risk pregnancies however knowledge and information is key, this is an area that I would be happy to assist you with.
Please note that I have both personal and client experience with Gestational Diabetes.
I have covered briefly some of the key questions or reasons why you might want to consider my support but understand that you may need further clarification so lets chat!
Finally take a look at my Testimonials page this will give you the views of other parents who have hired me for their births. I think you will agree that their words speak volumes.